What are the basic amenities of a tea house during my trek?

In tea house trek you stay at village mountain lodges and have breakfast, lunch and dinner. Most tea houses require you to have meals at their tea houses if you want accommodation. The tea houses do have hot showers, continental and Nepali food and comfortable private rooms (twin sharing). Hot showers and mobile charging can cost you extra and the price increases as you go higher up.

What kind of food are provided on trekking?

Western, Continental and Nepali dishes are available along the trekking trails. Standard meals are offered as well as vegetarian options. Kindly let us know beforehand for vegetarian option when you book your trip. The meals will be according to the staple diet of the local area. There will be other food items like bakery, fast food items on major trekking stops and villages. Also, do inform us prior to your trekking of any food allergies you may have.

How do I get permits for my trip?

Before you trek to Nepal, a TIMS (Trekkers’ Information Management Systems) card is very important. You can’t do without one. There are various trekking permits for special kinds of treks. They are:

  • Special Trekking Permit for restricted/controlled areas
  • Trekkers’ Information Management System/TIMS Card
  • Conservation Area entrance fee
  • National Park entrance fee
  • Trekking peak climbing and mountaineering permit
  • Filming and documentary shooting permit

The most convenient place to apply for a TIMS card is at the Nepal Tourism Board office in Kathmandu. You can also apply for other area permits here, such as for the Upper Mustang Trek or Annapurna Circuit permits (ACAP permit).

Do I need travel insurance for this trip?

Trekking in Nepal is a very risky business. If you don’t have a travel insurance then it will end up costing your bank account or even your life. There are various problems you can face during your travels. Sprained ankles, Altitude sickness, food poisoning, skin infections and respiratory infections. A helicopter evacuation in Nepal costs you upwards $5,000, not including the bed charge, service charges and medical charges. Without the right travel insurance, your medical bills can be very high!

Many travel insurance companies do not cover people over 4,000 meters or adventure activities. So make sure the fine print in you policies cover these two factors. Please check with your insurance company for trekking in Nepal.

What documents are needed for Visa?

The documents you need for your Tourist Visa are:

  • A completed Arrival Card.
  • A completed Online Visa Form.

The Online Visa Form can be filled prior to your arrival by visiting the Department of Immigration official website [link]. Or you can fill it up using Kiosk machines upon your arrival at the airport. If you will it from the website, you will get a submission confirmation and a receipt with barcode. You are required to print the receipt and bring it along on your trip.

What kind of accommodation are there in Kathmandu and trekking routes?

The accommodation options in trekking routes range from guest houses, homestays, hotels and tea houses. In Kathmandu and other major towns, you will find some good quality hotels and lodges. But as you go further upwards, tea houses and homestays are the mode of accommodation. Most tea houses and homestays require you to have meals there. As you go higher up, charging your phones and hot water will cost you extra money.

Nowadays, with many trekking routes being discovered, tea houses are becoming popular and has become an excellent way of supporting the local economy.

How do I get a visa for Nepal upon arrival at the airport?

Most tourists can get a visa on arrival at the airport. The process takes 20 minutes to an hour depending on the rush. You are responsible to verify all visa requirements. Your passport needs to have at least 6 month validity from the date of your arrival on Nepal.

Nepal Tourism Activities